There are probably a million and one mod guides for this nifty little Nerf gun called the “Nite Finder”. Why? Because it’s fairly futuristic and inexpensive which makes it any time traveler/steampunk/mad scientists wet dream. They run between $9 and $15 as of the point I’m writing this mod and can be found everywhere from Wal-mart to Toys R Us. I first picked one up for my Steampunk River Song costume with intentions of using it as an homage for her Alpha Meson Blaster.
The inspiration piece. River Song’s Alpha Meson blaster.
As you can see, River’s gun is very, very close to the shape of the Nerf NiteFinder without any modifications at all, so the fact I stumbled upon the NiteFinder was fantastic.
For a while I simply looked at pictures of her gun, and stared at my own. To be honest, the white/light gray of the original is slightly boring, and even the more detailed version in the second picture doesn’t excite me very much. I thought about staying as close to the original design as possible, but then I thought to myself “why bother?”. After all, I’m not doing an exact cosplay of River; I’m creating a steampunk version. I looked at a few mods online and pondered and pondered and eventually I just got to it.
It’s been a while since I actually updated about my DragonCon preparations, mostly because I’ve been so dang busy actually doing the preparations. I’m about 11 days away, but my 11 days is shortened to about 3 in reality, because I have to work 8 10 hour shifts between now and actually leaving. Who’s overwhelmed and panicking? This girl.
Here’s what I actually have left to do:
- Finish painting Jack and River’s guns.
- Finish River’s Nerf Steampunk Alpha Meson Blaster mod.
- Attempt to alter the hemline of River’s skirt.
- Purchase boots for River’s costume and holsters for both Jack and River.
- Style River’s wig.
- Make onigiri.
- Make two main dishes for bentos.
- Pack and freeze four bentos.
- Pack. (Funny cause I actually have to UNPACK from where I house sat for a friend for two weeks first so I can repack. Also, I probably need to buy a suitcase or two and potentially laundry.)
- Check the DragonCon app for updates and PRAY it did not lose all of my data like it did the last time it updated. Finish marking panels I want to attend.
- Blog about the Alpha Meson mod, final costume pics, and make-up design.
- Prep my scrapbooking stuff to take with me.
- Have a breakdown and cry.
And that’s it. No big deal right? OH GOD WHO AM I KIDDING?! I’LL NEVER GET DONE IN TIME. Oh, look! I can mark “Have a breakdown and cry.” off my list. I feel accomplished already.
I’ve been trying for weeks to write a review of the Dark Knight. I promised listeners of Talk Nerdy 2 Me Podcast I’d do it within days of it coming out. I still haven’t done it. Why? A lot of what I think can be found in Episode 2 of the Podcast if you listen. I honestly can’t remember if we said anything naughty in that recording, but it’s possible, so you may not want to listen with the kiddos around. But because I promised my listeners something I just can’t bring myself write, it seems I’ve backed myself in a corner. I don’t want to disappoint them, but I don’t think I have much more to say. Continue reading